Wednesday 5 March 2008

Cappuccino Cream Fondant Pendant


I have been trying to think about the best way to use this space – I think it is going to evolve into a diary of work, sprinkled through with tutorials and general information on jewellery making, ie, suppliers of materials, links to other jewellery artist’s sites, etc.
As I don’t want it to be just a list I will try and pull in the suppliers, inspirations, and associated bits and pieces of info where they are relevant to the pieces I am working on.

At the beginning of this year I decided I would try and create at least one piece of jewellery each week, (inspired by the YOJ competition in the US) so that by the time the summer came and exhibitions started to happen, I would have some new and original work to choose from to show at each event and would be able to avoid showing the same work twice.

But the blog only started yesterday – 4 March 2008 – so I can’t write about each piece as I create it because that would leave the earlier pieces from this year out – and I don’t want to keep them “in reserve” to post on weeks when I don’t create anything because that is the sort of excuse that will make it toooo easy for me to have a week off….

My solution is that I will try to play catch-up for the first week or two of March, and write about the earlier pieces daily – or “second daily” -- until they have all found a home on the blog, but I will add in new pieces as I finish them. You will have to guess which are which!

Having said all that I feel I should start!

The piece opposite (and up a bit - I haven't got the hang of making things appear exactly where I want them on the page yet) is called Cappuccino Cream, (should there be one ‘p’ or two?) and was created in January 2008 with an oval cappuccino jasper from mineral warehouse and sterling silver wire from Palmer Metals. There is a woven bail at the top and the front has small scrolls of silver around the edges holding the stone in place, whilst the back is a netted bezel (see Eni Oken for more information on netted bezels). The wrapped stone measures approx an inch and the woven bail another ¼ inch. It was complicated to make - the wire was threaded through the stone, looped into a double bail and then wound all around the outside of the stone again to form a base for the double spirals and the netted bezel to attach to. The spirals had to be held together with coiled wire links and the bail woven with 0.2 mm wire.

No comments: